How Does This Functionality Help You?
- The Schedule is your staffing plans by week. It defines when and where employees are assigned to work.
- Schedule cost can be viewed if pay rates are entered into the system.
- Schedules can be built quickly from headcounts, templates, tours, previous schedules, or by manually adding shifts.
Schedules Section: Building a Schedule
Building a Schedule consists of three steps, and each step is explained in the following paragraphs. The three steps are:
Building a Box.
Filling the box with sets of shifts.
Assigning the shifts to employees.
Note: Before building your first schedule, be sure you have selected the correct 1st day of the week for the location. This is under the Location Section > Week Days. See Location Section: Week Days for more information.
Step 1: Build the Box
- Select Add Schedule.
- Week Start: Populated by the 1st day of the week from Location Section.
- Start Date: Auto defaults to the week after the previous schedule is built.
Remember: If this is the first schedule, you must enter the correct start date.
- Name: Optional. If left blank the start date is displayed as the name.
- Published: No selected by default, and should remain No while the schedule is being built. Return to this window and set to Yes when completed so the schedule displays in the Employee portal
Select Save. To edit in the future, select the Settings tab in the top menu bar.
Use the Refresh symbol to see your schedule in the left menu list.
Step 2: Fill the Box with Shifts
Select the Shifts tab on the top menu bar and select List from the drop-down menu. This brings up the shift list with a note that there are no records to display.
Select the Add Shifts tab in the top menu bar.
Shifts can be added to the schedule in several ways:
- By day – manually add a number of shifts and shift hours. See Adding Shifts by Day.
- Tours – if using the Tours & Tour Bidding module, select a tour.
- Templates – By adding shifts from one or more templates, select a template. See Adding Shifts from Templates.
- Existing Schedules – By copying a previous schedule. See Adding Shifts from an Existing Schedule.
Go to Add Shift > By Day.
- On the Add Shift window, enter the number of shifts you want for one specific time period. Enter shift times. Choose Station. ShiftGroup and Note are optional.
- Select Save.
- The page refreshes and the shifts you created automatically display.
- Repeat this process for each different shift time you need to enter.
- Go to Add Shift > Templates.
On the Copy Template(s) window, select the template(s) to use. Hold down the Control Key to individually select multiple templates.
- Select the Week(s) you want to fill with shifts.
Select Options: Re-apply Days Off ensures that employees with a granted day off are removed from the shifts.
Select Insert Shifts.
The page automatically refreshes. The shift list displays all shifts inserted.
Note: If templates have been created and shared by the Enterprise portal, they display under the Enterprise section in the Select Template(s) list.
Adding Shifts from an Existing Schedule:
Go to Add Shift > Existing Schedules.
- On the Copy Schedule window, select the previous schedule you want to copy. It is highlighted.
Note: Only previous schedules with the same duration can be copied, thus only the previous schedules that match the duration of the current week will be displayed in the list.
- Options: Re-apply Days Off will ensure that employees with a granted day off will be removed from the shifts.
- Select Insert Shifts.
The page automatically refreshes to the shift list and displays all shifts inserted.
Step 3: Assigning Shifts to Employees
Empty shifts in the schedule can be filled in two ways. Both ways allow you to honor all employee and system constraints when assigning employees to shifts.
Auto Fill – uses the schedule optimizer and enforces all constraints entered for employees in terms of max limits, availability, station skills, and granted days off.
See Assigning Shifts Using Auto Fill.
Manual placement – choose the employee you want to work the shift from the employee available list. You can override constraints if you choose to do so. See Schedules Section: Assigning Shifts to Employees.
Go to the Tools tab on the top menu bar and select Auto Fill Shifts from the drop-down list.
From the Auto Fill Shifts pop-up window, select options.
- Week (days): Select the week to fill (if your schedule is more than 7 days in duration).
- Prime time: default is 12 pm. This sets the most important time to fill shifts.
- Station: You can choose to fill the schedule one station at a time.
- Labor Pool: You can choose to fill the schedule by one labor pool at a time. See Location Section: Labor Pools.
- Preferred Overlap: Default is 0%. You can choose to allow employees to be scheduled to overlapping shifts of 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%.
- Select Execute.
The pop-up window refreshes with a notification of the shifts filled.
Select Close and Refresh Shifts to see the shifts and employees assigned.
Note: If an employee with a fixed shift in a template is granted a day off (in the Employee/ days off section), when the schedule is built for that week, it will remove the employee from that shift and make it empty. See Templates Section: Editing a Template Shift for additional information.
List and Grid options for viewing the set of shifts is under the Shifts tab in the top menu. The data filters under the Options tab can be applied to any of the three views below.
List: Displays shifts in a list. Use the Display settings under the Options tab in the left menu to sort and group the shift list the way you want.
Week: Displays shifts in a grid by day.
Day: Displays shifts in a grid with bar graph by hour. Each day is under a separate tab.